A weekly check-up of gender, medicine, and history in the news
- Reclaiming stolen history.
- Salvador Dalí’s cookbook.
- The harmful history of “gypsy.”
- What to do about Charlottesville.
- The hippies of 1970s Soviet Union.
- The surprising origins of Kotex pads.
- How capitalism cornered authenticity.
- The wartime origins of farmers markets.
- The racism behind alien mummy hoaxes.
- In HBO’s Insecure, where are the condoms?
- The 19th century moral panic over . . . paper?
- The accidental invention of the Illuminati conspiracy.
- Why are people with disabilities being paid below minimum wage?
- Medical experimentation on slaves in 18th-century Caribbean colonies.
- Medicine’s gender revolution: how women stopped being treated as small men.
Oh, I almost forgot. One more thing: