A weekly check-up of gender, medicine, and history in the news
- On embryos and spin.
- Dotchin or “opium scale”?
- History in a jar: the story of pickles.
- Police dogs and anti-black violence.
- Is there a link between SIDS and serotonin?
- Here are some handy teen sex-ed resources.
- If Americans love moms, why do we let them die?
- Applying lessons from cholera to the opioid crisis.
- Exercise and medical surveillance during pregnancy.
- Momentum builds to end surgery on intersex newborns.
- Two proposals for transforming Confederate monuments.
- Did Jane Austen develop cataracts from arsenic poisoning?
- Is this what the last common ancestor of flowers looked like?
- Was Agatha Christie’s amnesia real or just revenge on cheating spouse?
- Science and snark: a gynecologist takes on Trump, Goop, and health fads.