A weekly check-up of gender, medicine, and history in the news
- Rollerskating Victorians.
- An ode to a suffrage organizer.
- An old maid’s advice from 1748.
- Dental hygiene in the Middle Ages.
- A silent film’s interracial, same-sex kiss.
- Breast milk substitutes in Colonial America.
- Fierce fashion from 19th-century Puerto Rico.
- Fumigating for health in early modern England.
- Women and restaurants in 19th-century America.
- A 1970s cocktail guide from the U.S.Forest Service.
- A helpful chart on name calling throughout history.
- Why are historians obsessed with Game of Thrones?
- A self-defense film from the 1940s (Or: how to kick ass in heels).
Featured Image: The burlesque artist Gypsy Rose Lee at a March of Dimes benefit lunch in New York, 1945, wearing a Charles James outfit. Photograph: Bettmann/Corbis