A weekly check-up of gender, medicine, and history in the news
- Plague riddled pigeons.
- What did Gettysburg smell like?
- Airport food used to be a big deal.
- Remember the Sand Creek Massacre.
- Mass imprisonment and public health.
- The hidden history of queer country music.
- Does feminism leave the disabled behind?
- Uncovering the heart of Chopin – literally.
- Finding religion in the history of U.S. sexuality.
- What schizophrenia can teach us about ourselves.
- When Thanksgiving turkeys used to walk to Boston.
- Women having a terrible time at parties in art history.
- Meet the woman who led 7,000 men against the Nazis.
- 98-year-old woman fights to overturn McCarthy-era conviction.
*Feature image courtesy of Wellcome Photo Library, Wellcome Images: A baker and his wife weighing their baby, representing an advertisement for “Boulangère” chicory. Chromolithograph by L. Olivié, ca. 1890.