A weekly check-up of gender, medicine, and history in the news
- £7.5 trillion for slavery.
- Bette Davis on sexism.
- Vaccinated mosquitos?
- A history of body snatching.
- “What Women Want”: a history.
- How science still gets race wrong.
- How New York invented night life.
- How blind Victorians fought for education.
- Uterus transplant produces a healthy baby boy.
- A history of unwanted visitors at the White House.
- An oral history of an iconic underground actress.
- New footage of the 1924 World Series discovered.
- Researchers find the origin of AIDS in the 1920s.
- The enema button: an 18th-century fashion must.
- A disease that travels across the Pacific via wind?
- Surprise: Historians dislike Bill O’Reilley’s new book.
*Featured image: Wellcome Library, London, “A practitioner of mesmerism using animal magnetism on a woman who responds with convulsions.” Wood engraving. Mesmer, Franz Anton 1734-1815.