A weekly check-up of gender, medicine, and history in the news
- E. coli and bacterial sex.
- Rare footage of FDR walking.
- Leprosy vaccine scientist dies.
- Poverty among Holocaust survivors.
- Can the measles vaccine cure cancer?
- The racist roots of common phrases.
- The 19th-century vegetable version of Viagra.
- Thomas Edison and the cult of sleep deprivation.
- How old-timey medicine gave us the beard.
- Scientists discover 17-million-year-old giant sperm.
- Retirees are finding second careers at historical sites.
- Older women may be at higher risk for cervical cancer.
- Columbus’ ship, the Santa Maria, may have been found.
- The Acid Rescue Squad: Drug education in the 60s and 70s.
- 13,000-year-old wisdom tooth sheds light on Native American origins.
** Featured image courtesy of Duke University’s “Medicine and Madison” digital collection: http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/mma_MM0443/