A weekly check-up of gender, medicine, and history in the news
- A 16th-century nose job.
- 17 of the world’s oldest films.
- The art of the 1950s motel postcard.
- The Reformation according to LEGO.
- 20 beautiful color photos of Tsarist Russians.
- J.D. Salinger and the case of the missing testicle?
- Do historians need to pay more attention to sound?
- Interactive maps compare 19th-century cities to today.
- 1940s film advises teenagers on proper prom behavior.
- The map that Lincoln used to see the reach of slavery.
- Spin the wheel of death! How would you have died in 1811?
- Rush Limbaugh pens an “unbiased” children’s history book.
- The 1931 plan to turn the pyramids into an amusement park.
- Marie Curie, extramarital affairs, and dueling with swords and pistols.
*Image courtesy of Retornaut: c. 1831: “Woman aged 23, before and after cholera.”